Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pleasures

This morning I ran 5 miles. Yesterday, too. The weather is cooler these last few days, and much less humid. I believed cooler, less humid air would make me faster, but in reality, I found I was a bit more stiff. Still, the ease of breathing, compared to more humid conditions, makes the run feel easier if not faster.

At the lakefront, there are some fine trees down after Monday night's storms. Sad.

On 3 or 4 occasions, I have had the sneaking pleasure of passing other runners. Oh, how superior I feel then, especially if they are younger, or male, or more fit-looking than I! (Almost everybody!) Of course, this cannot show as I pass, as I would hate for anyone to think I'm feeling what I actually AM feeling! How good it is not to be the slowest person out there!

Mostly, alas, I find myself on the other end of that equation: the one being passed; especially this morning, it seemed as if everyone out there was jogging easily past me, not even breathing hard. Lots of training groups for the Chicago marathon on Saturday mornings, along with other young people who run seriously or maybe just once a week, but I am no competition for them . . .

Still, while the run itself isn't necessarily pure pleasure, the sensations of well-being and virtue that sweep over me afterward are definitely worth the sweat and aching muscles and huffing and puffing.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I love reading your running log - you are really putting in the miles. Joints still holding up ok?

Lorraine said...

So far! Though I admit 5 miles 2 days in a row might be a bit much.