Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of school, last day of summer?

The welcome breakfast went off with only the hitch of not getting there until 15 minutes before we were supposed to start serving, due to crossed communication wires. I'll blog all the recipes and details later this week.

After the breakfast, I unloaded the bare minimum from the car because it was so hot and I was dripping with sweat. I turned the air on in the house for perhaps the 5th time this summer but within two hours, the wind had whipped up a downpour which left behind cool, fresh air. So off went the A/C and open went the windows.

It's too soon to tell, but that mini heat wave might be the last summer weather we'll see this year - the forecast for the next 6 days calls for some pretty chilly lows (44 - brrr!) and very autumnal highs.

(Pretend you don't notice the complete lack of segue) I'm familiarizing myself with our new camera. Two impressions so far. One good: the pictures it takes are often very very sharp (the clarity of this shot of the boys decked out in the new school clothes not withstanding). One bad: it eats batteries. I think that might have more to do with the battery charger than the camera and I will read up on the charger as soon as if I find the box I put the owner's manual in.

My goal for this week is to take pictures everyday in the hopes that soon I'll just be able to pick up the camera and snap a picture without having to think about it. I've used my trusty Kodak film camera for so long that I'm taking awhile to adjust to all the knobs and settings the digital camera has. One thing I've already gotten good at, though, and that's changing the batteries.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Who ARE those handsome gentlemen?!

Lorraine said...

Handsome, indeed!