Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oven Stew

When I started this blog with Lorraine, I didn't intend for it to become a recipe blog but, for me, that's what it has turned into. I think it's because 1) Writing about food is easy for me 2) It gives a way to keep track of recipes I really like 3) I love to cook and eat simple, tasty food and 4) I imagine that someone out there reading one of my recipe posts might be saying, "That sounds good, I think I'll try that." In other words, recipe posts provide that all important connection with an audience and please don't spoil it by telling me that you don't ever ever think that when you read my recipes.

What's better than homemade beef stew? Beef stew that is finished off by baking in the oven so your husband can put it in when he gets home and all you have to do when you get home is step in and enjoy the aroma. A treat for all the senses and not too hard on the pocketbook.
Oven Stew
1 T olive oil
1 plus lbs beef stew meat
1 - 2 onions, chopped
1 lb mushrooms, washed, and chopped
2 cups, sliced and chopped carrots - medium chunks
6 small red potatoes, cut into eighths or smaller - small to medium chunks
<1 box Progresso beef broth
<1 cup red wine - didn't measure
1 bay leaf
1 t or more rosemary

Brown the meat in the oil in a very large pan. I used my 'wok pan' which has the dreaded nonstick coating but is such a handy size and shape. The meat I had this time was a little fatty, so maybe the oil wouldn't have been necessary or maybe it would be better to buy leaner beef and cut my own cubes. In any case, I like smaller cubes than the butcher does, so I cut the meat before browning it. Special kitchen shears are not necessary; I just use regular Fiskars that I wash with the dishes (or I should say, that Dan washes).

Season the meat with salt and pepper. Add the onions to brown meat and cook them until they are soft and sweet. Add the mushrooms and cook down. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and put in a large casserole with a lid. Cover and refrigerate.

Instruct your husband to preheat the oven to 350 and bake the stew in the covered casserole for 2 1/2 hours, give or take. Don't expect thick gravy like you'd get if you just opened a can of Dinty Moore. You could try thickening it - maybe by flouring the meat before browning. But I wouldn't bother.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

This sounds yummy! On Facebook, they have a Recipe Binder application where you can put your recipes and look at others. It looks like there are millions. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to add applications yet. Maybe someone can show me at Thanksgiving.