Thursday, March 27, 2008

Life Insurance: DENIED!

It appears that ING Life Insurance is a lot less sanguine about my life expectancy than I am. And really, you can see their point: after all, if I were to die, I'd just be dead, whereas they could be out $100G.
Here's the back story. When Dan and I were signing up for benefits last fall we decided it might be a good idea to carry some additional life insurance with the higher debt load we're carrying because of the mortgage on our new house. We figured out that we could buy the same amount of insurance with less money if we took out spouse life insurance policies rather than increasing the amount of our individual policies. We signed up for the programs knowing that 'proof of insurability would be required', but didn't give that much thought.
With one thing and another, we put off filing the insurability questionaire until a couple weeks ago. ING promptly responded by denying Dan's application for insurance for me. Seems that they don't think I'm a good risk until I am treatment free for 2 years - which would be May of 2009.
For now, we'll go without the additional insurance or, perhaps, shop around elsewhere. The additional amount we wanted to carry was a nice-to-have not a must-have. But the denial was a reminder of one important way cancer has changed my life: my health history is no longer a string of "No"s and "Never"s.
By the way, it's very likely that my request for insurnace on Dan will be approved. He had his health exam yesterday morning and he (thankfully) has no serious health problems - current or past.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

A reminder of our mortality. Thankfully, ING doesn't actually determine anything about the length of your life!