Sunday, May 4, 2008

Homemade pizza, part 5: The assessment

The world wants to know: Was it good?

Yes, it was good and not that much work. Abe gave it a 6.5 on a scale of 10. I'm no longer speaking to him. Mose gave it an 8. There's a young man who knows pizza.

As for me, I'd give it an 8, too. It all comes down to the crust and while this crust was pretty good, there was too much of it and it got toooo crispy. Maybe a shorter prebake.

The sauce recipe is definitely a keeper and the toppings too. But those parts are easy. It's the darn crust that keeps me up at night.

What would make a perfect crust?
-chewy, with a moist interior. Like good ciabatta
-pretty thin
-made of 1/2 whole grain
-not at all doughy

Using pizza stones might fetch me the chewy but not crisp exterior and flavorful interior that I crave. I have one pizza stone, but seldom use it for pizza because I always make two and I can't stand the asymmetry of baking one on a metal pan and one on stone.

So I won't do that. But next time I will cut the volume of dough in each pan by 1/4, will reduce the prebake to 7 minutes, will brush the edges with olive oil after the prebake and will raise the proportion of all purpose flour. These small changes will bring me one step farther down the road to Pizza Heaven.

No comments: