Saturday, June 7, 2008

Lasgana Supper

We're having some friends over tomorrow and I plan to serve a couple kinds of lasagna, my famous Caesar Salad and a ricotta cheese dessert. Biscotti, too, if I get around to making them.

As usual, my recipe source is Everday Food. It's a little warm today to have the oven on but the forecast is for a cooler day tomorrow. I'll bake the biscotti and toast the croutons this evening or early tomorrow.

In conjunction with making this fabulous meal, I am conducting a taste test of four different types of canned tomatoes: Hunts, Flavorite (the store brand), Red Gold and Hunts Organic. The last is crushed, the others are whole, as per the recipe. But I don't know why you wouldn't use crushed, since you need to break them up anyway.

Here's all the stuff I will do ahead:
Caesar Salad
  • toast croutons
  • wash and tear romaine
  • squeeze lemon
Lasagna
  • shred gobs of mozzarella
  • removing casings from and brown the sausage (I'm using Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage)
  • chop one onion
  • make the red sauce
  • defrost and squeeze the spinach
  • clean and slice the carrots
  • make the white sauce
Biscotti
  • chop the walnuts
Sweet Ricotta dessert
  • drain the ricotta
  • chop the chocolate
  • rinse the berries
Abe prepared the sun tea (now brewing). We'll serve that to drink plus water and milk. A little wine would go fine with this meal but the folks we've invited are Baptists and don't imbibe.

Both recipes call for NOT boiling the lasagna ahead, a very desirable thing. I'm trying Barilla noodles this time - they're advertised as being the more traditional lasagna shape - short with no crinkling at the edges.

That's the game plan. But right now, I'm going to take a nap.