Saturday, June 28, 2008

This week in review

Two weeks in a row now, I thought I would post a 'week in review' because I hadn't gotten aroung to a Friday 5. But last week, Lorraine beat me to the punch with her Friday 5 and this week, I thought of one I wanted to post (albeit on Saturday morning). However, I still like the idea of a week in review, so here goes.
Highlights from the week of 22 June- 27 June 2008

1. Saturday, I went to a class at Beaver Creek Reserve and built a Leopold bench. All the benches made in class turned out great and what a nice group of people! The power tools made me a little nervous, so I think I will leave most of that kind of stuff to Dan, but I am very proud of my bench.
2. Sunday, the boys and I sang 'Farther Along' at church. There are many different verses to this song, some quite down in the mouth. We chose to sing the more upbeat ones and took it at a pretty fast clip. It was well received. Abe has been bugging me to pull out my autoharp so I dug aroung and found it. Couldn't find my books or tuning wrench, though, which means I really couldn't play it.

In the evening, Mose and I drove to church to drop off a salad for a big funeral there the next day and then drove to the van parking lot so I could sign off for a few days. We parked the car there and walked around town, admiring some beautiful older homes.

3. Monday, I drove in to work with Dan. His day now starts 1/2 hour earlier than it used to which means we had to get up at 3:30 am. That was very grim.

After work, we stopped at a Linder's flower mart nearby to take advantage of their 50% off sale, one of my favorite events of the year. We bought a Goldflame Honeysuckle and 3 cranberry cotoneasters. We'll plant the honeysuckle where it can wind around the lattice under our front porch and the cotoneasters are for the area between our driveway and (new) front sidewalk.

We didn't linger long though so I had plenty of time when I got home to plant my garden. Yes, I put everything in the ground. The mosquitoes feasted on my pasty white flesh, but I was on a roll and they didn't bother me.
4. Tuesday, I drove in with Dan again (the boys were at their Dad's). After work, we drove to REI in Bloomington where we found a couple bear barrels (not beer barrels) for trips to the Boundary Waters (never again will we go there without them). I had thought we'd take mainly freeze dried meals this time, but on seeing the outrageous prices, decided we'd make our own again, but less extravagant, less smelly stuff. I still regret the dark chocolate ginger candies that the bear got to before I did **sniff**.
We stopped at Gerten's, too, another favorite place for plants but, alas, not known for having fabulous sales. We bought two Sea Green Junipers there.
5. Wednesday, we just came home and stayed home. Whew.
6. Thursday, Dan had to get to work by 2:30 am. Needless to say, I didn't go in with him that day.
Dan was exhausted that evening and went to bed right after supper. The boys and I watched Friendly Persuasion, recommended by Lorraine.
7. Yesterday, I worked from home. My boss has a policy now where we can work from home on Fridays, if we don't have to be in the office for one reason or another. 7 people on her team COULD choose work from home and 5 of us HAVE chosen.
I put in a long day. We had Domino's pizza for supper and watched From Here to Eternity, which we loved.
It was a good week. We continue to have really nice weather. It was a little sticky yesterday, but we still haven't turned the A/C on. It rained last night and freshened things up, so I don't think we'll need it today, either.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

What did you think of Friendly Persuasion?

You have so many good ideas of what to write! A week-in-review is great!