Friday, June 6, 2008

Sentimental Journey's first public appearance

The women's community chorus that I've been singing with for the past couple months made their first public appearance early this evening at the Baldwin Care Center. There were 7 of us singing (Pam, Holly, Marna, Eunice, Rebbecca, Cheryl and me) with Margaret playing the piano.

The boys and I were the 'opening act'. We're performing 'Farther Along' at church someday soon (Abe's accompanying Mose and me) and we used this as a 'dry run'. I was happy with how we sounded; Abe did an especially nice job.

I think the ladies did all right, too. We sang for about 1/2 hour. Our program was: 'America the Beautiful', 'Harbor Lights', 'Top of the World' (yes, the Carpenters' song), 'Over the Rainbow', 'Oh, What a Beautiful Morning', 'When I Grow Too Old to Dream', 'Sentimental Journey' and 'Just a Closer Walk with Thee'. I sang tenor on the last. Pretty low for me so I won't say I was especially strong but we sounded fine on the third verse which we did a cappella.

It was fun when the audience joined in. One couple sat front and center holding hands; the woman gazed at her husband from time to time. That was sweet.

We call ourselves 'Sentimental Journey', a name which captures our choice of music, sweet tunes recalling times gone by.

2 comments:

Sola Gratia said...

You guys did a GREAT job.

Lorraine said...

Sounds wonderful!