Sunday, April 6, 2008

(Dis)Enchanted

I was ready to like Enchanted, the fairly new Disney movie and the first 3/4 of it hummed along nicely. I was charmed by Giselle, pleased that the humor was almost free of potty references and warming up to Patrick Dempsey (whom I've never seen in anything else. Should I know who he is?). It was especially fun to see on film some of the scenes in New York City that we so recently visited. Loved the two big production numbers 'Happy Working Song' (where even the cockroaches help cleaning up the messy apartment) and 'How Will You Know?'.
But when it became clear that Giselle and Robert were going to couple up, I lost interest. I had hopes that Disney would plow some fresh ground, but I guess they just can't get away from the same old story lines.
I loved the part in the movie when Giselle sparks renewed romance between a couple pitched in an ugly divorce battle. And I thought, 'Wouldn't it be nice if Giselle could do the same for Robert and his ex-wife and Morgan (Robert's daughter)?' What an affirmation of marriage and commitment! That was my ideal ending #1. Ideal ending #2 would have been if Giselle's unshakable belief in happily ever after had firmed up Robert's love and commitment for Nancy, getting their marriage off to a strong start and sending Giselle back to Andalasia. But no, he ends up throwing over the woman he's been dating for five years and goes for the new girl on the scene.
I really got tired of it when the wicked stepmother turned into a dragon; the last scene seemed to drag on and on.
Disenchanted, disappointed...Disney.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I have been disenchanted with Disney for many years, for some of the same reasons, and maybe different ones, too, oversimplification of life and love, among them. Also gender stereotyping, body image issues, only one plot . . . the most creative minds in the business, and they can only come up with one story?? I believe there are other stories that are family-oriented that don't fall into the same traps.