Sunday, April 6, 2008

Light Caesar Salad

I haven't been a huge Caesar Salad fan - it can get a little greasy and sometimes serves as a way excuse to pass off sub-par Romaine as a 'healthy' choice. But I ran into a recipe for 'Lighter Caesar Salad' a week or so ago and was pleased with the results.
But do you think I could find the recipe when I wanted to make it again? No way. So I searched around on the web, found a recipe to start with but added a couple variations that I recalled from the other version. And it turned out all right.
Here's how I'll make it next time:
Croutons
1 loaf 3 Cheese Semolina bread
Dressing
1 T EVOO
1 T LF mayo
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 T anchovy paste
1/2 T Dijon mustard
1/4 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 t minced bottled garlic
1/2 cup Parmesan
Salad
3 Romaine hearts
Slice and cube bread and bake in roasting pan (in two batches) @ 450/425 for 8 minutes.
While croutons are baking and cooling, whisk the dressing together and wash, spin and tear the Romaine. Toss the dressing with the salad. Add 1/3 of the croutons and toss again. Save remaining croutons for next time.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Anchovy paste?????

Sue said...

Yes! They even had it in the little grocery store in Baldwin near the tuna. Some sort of anchovy flavoring imparts the true Caesar salad touch.