Sunday, July 6, 2008

Birthday Pleasures

Being blessed with a summer birthday and not having to work on it this year, I planned a day full of ordinary treats. Here is what I did:

1. Slept in a little bit, followed by -
2. My usual morning routine of Prayer, Gratitude Journal and the Tribune Daily Sudoku.
3. A 3-mile run in lovely cool weather, which ended at Tony's, where I went in and bought a loaf of my favorite French toast bread.
4. After a long shower and bit of pampering, I emerged dressed for gardening, but first made and consumed with pleasure the aforementioned French toast.
5. I then spent 2+ hours attacking the violet infestation that has sneaked into my garden, and planning what I will put in to keep them at bay.
6. After a quick clean-up, Stephen took us to Garcia's for my favorite chips and salsa and steak burrito.
7. A nap and then back into the yard, this time to sit in my comfy chair with books and journal -- and a piece of cherry pie, thank-you, Cindy!
8. Flannery O'Connor is on tap for July's book discussion the 14th, but after 2 stories, I decided she was too depressing for my birthday, so I looked into the books Dave gave me, which look excellent.
9. My beloved trowel had gone missing in the morning's clean-up, so I said a prayer to find it quickly (and without too much mess!) and began digging through the blue bags of yard waste, finding it on my first real delving into the most likely bag!
10. One more clean-up and Dave and I set off for a party at Dan Kopanke's and Kathy Flenz's new place: great Chicago view, excellent food, good company and conversation.
11. Got encouragement in my running from Holly Hart Porter and Danika Kopanke (soon to be Amusin, on July 20!) Also enjoyed throughout the day: birthday cards and calls, the glorious mild and sunny weather, looking at the quilt top for Conor and Theresa's baby, which is now finished and ready to be put together, writing a blog, eating small handfuls of sun-warmed raspberries right off the bush . . .
12. Ended the day as it began, with prayer and journaling and gratitude!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Sounds like a lovely day. Thanks for sharing it.