Sunday, July 6, 2008

The plants I didn't buy

As we drove home from Hudson yesterday, with a yellow flowering currant wedged between my feet and a Royal Star magnolia teetering in the jump seat, both purchased at Fleet Farm's plant clearance, Dan looked over at me and said, 'I notice we always come home with plants'. His saying this without any irony whatsoever once again galvanized my love and deep devotion for him.

And so I sighed, but it was not a completely happy sigh. Having the nicest husband in the world and a growing collection of shrubs and trees was not enough to erase the memory of two plants still languishing on the half off rack. This post is a memorial to them,

the precious Miss Canada Lilac







and the luminous Limelight Hydrangea












I keep telling myself I did the right thing, that it was best to leave them for a gardener who had the perfect place for them. But still the sadness lingers as I think about the plants I left behind.

No comments: